Thursday, 3 September 2026

Guest post by Seidel: Learning from the Greats

The ALD History Blog has the honor to host its second guest post, "Learning from Famous" by Dr. Thomas E. (Tom) Seidel.  The first guest post by Prof. Al Weimer on early particle ALD in Colorado can be accessed here.

The author, Tom Seidel, is a reknown semiconductor technologist, with whom we have shared an interest in the history of ALD (at least) since the ALD 2004 conference in Helsinki, Finland. A related ALD History Blog post, "Where were you when I asked that question?" can be accessed here. Answering the question of the post title: Tom was sitting in one of the row in front of me in the large lecture hall at that very moment, and that is when we met for the first time with him. We exchanged a few words: we both knew about the early Soviet literature on ALD, that it is openly available, and that it predates the invention of ALD as Atomic Layer Epitaxy. Dr. Seidel later contacted me to join to contribute to the VPHA (which was initiated in 2013) and he is among the 62 co-authors of the "Recommended reading list..." review published in the Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology (35, 010801 (2017), https://doi.org/10.1116/1.4971389). Tom's (impressive!) CV is included at the end of the guest post, where he tells us about his personal learnings from famous - some which relate to ALD history in one way or another and many go beyond it, and all are are interesting. Warmest thanks, Tom, for trusting me to publish your text in the ALD History Blog.      

If another former VPHA contributor -- and perhaps even non-contributor, who wishes to tell openly of ALD history related things -- would wish to write a guest post, feel free to contact me at my institutional address and propose a topic. 

Espoo, Finland, September 3, 2026 
Riikka Puurunen 

--- guest post begins ---

Learning from the Greats

Tom Seidel

Brief encounters with famous personalities of the 20th century are described. Each encounter leaves one with learning and values commonly found in very accomplished people.

The author is a retired semiconductor technologist, with tenures at Bell Laboratories and SEMATECH. His technical contributions were in Ion Implantation and Atomic Layer Deposition.  In retirement, he has affiliations at MIT and U Florida.

 

Dallas Green – 1953 (Major League Player and Manager)

Dallas Green was a moderately successful major league baseball pitcher, but he established fame as a Phillies manager when they won the 1980 World Series. In high school he was considered the best athlete in the greater Wilmington DE area. It was on the high school basketball court where I met him. He scored 21 points for his school. My school team-mate and I had 11 points each, so Dallas alone scored about the same as our two high scorers that day. Yet, we won by 5 points using press and fast break tactics, taught to perfection by our remarkable coach, John Birkenhauer. He had a lifetime winning percentage of ~85%. Coach once said, “You will rarely play better in competition than you do in practice.” Dallas Green played sports at the University of Delaware, was noticed by Phillies scouts and signed by them. Later, as a manager, he demanded the most from his players, and although they often disliked his demands, they were the first to admit that his system worked. In 1980, the Phillies were blest with two Hall of Famers, third baseman MVP, Mike Schmidt and a Cy Young pitcher, Steve Carlton. Any successful coach will tell you winning is enabled by having great talent. Dallas had an up and down pitching career, but he always kept at it, he never gave up.

I learned that to achieve one’s highest goal, one must repeatedly persevere.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Dallas Green_(baseball)

 

Giuseppe Mario (“GM”) Bellanca - 1954 (Aviation Pioneer)

The phone rang and my high school friend, Leonard Bellanca said we had an invitation for dinner with his famous uncle. We drove to his retirement estate on the Chesapeake and were greeted by “GM” himself at a Georgean style home. There were no servants.

“GM”, an Italian immigrant, was a notable early aviation pioneer. He was one of the first to put a propeller on the front of a plane and among other things patented the first retractable landing gear. His wing airfoil was leading-edge used for airmail in the 1920’s. 

Lindberg wanted a Bellanca plane, but Bellanca would not sell him a plane unless there was a co-pilot. Bellanca believed that the risk of falling asleep on a cross-Atlantic flight was too high. Lindberg declined, then co-designed and bought the famous Ryan monoplane and made history. The NY Times headlined “Lindberg Lands in Paris,” and in the lower right-hand column an article reads, “Bellanca Congratulates Lindberg.”

In the month following Lindberg’s flight, a Bellanca plane, Miss Columbia with 2 pilots, flew nonstop across the Atlantic, landing beyond Paris in Germany. This earned him his picture on the cover of Time Magazine. In 1931, a Bellanca plane “Miss Veedol,” also with 2 pilots, was the first to fly non-stop across the Pacific, in 41 hours. Not like Lindberg’s lone eagle flight, not forever sensationally newsworthy. Today there are streets named “Bellanca” near the Los Angeles and San Diego Airports and they set his permanence.

At dinner, GM asked, “Would you young folks like to see my garden and barn?” The garden was Italian style in design, not unlike a small version of Getty’s Roman estate garden in LA.  After fiddling with a padlock on the barndoor, he rolled the doors back and there, hanging from the ceiling, were three 1920 vintage Bellanca airplanes. He had his personal airplane museum.  Today, some Bellanca airplanes are still in service, very much like antique cars, especially in the Texas ranch country. The visit ended with a short cruise on his spotless Chris Craft on the Chesapeake.

The visit was not accompanied by any discussion of his accomplishments or wealth. The experience was simply warm, “Italian hospitality” at its best.  GM assumed we were familiar with what he had done and he just wanted to have some time with his young nephew and friends. When I am engaged with Italian friends, I share this story.

My classmate, Leonard Bellanca was an accomplished civil engineer, specializing in bridge construction.  His life experiences included a supersonic Concorde flight.  We remained friends and travelled together in retirement.

I learned that no matter how famous one is, there is no need to review one’s fame, but simply share some treasured things.

Refs: Giuseppi Mario Bellanca – Wikipedia; US Patent 1,691,105

 

Gerald Pearson- 1955 (Bell Labs Researcher and Consultant to Philco)

In the summer of 1955, I was a engineering student at Philco Research in Philadelphia, performing Hall measurements on InSb. Part of the study required thinning samples, which in one case distorted it, and surprisingly the Hall mobility was abnormally very high. When Pearson came to consult at Philco, he reviewed this result and examined the sample. He noted that the sample appeared strained and suggested that strain might explain the unexpectedly high mobility. He also advised that using this effect would require a reproducible strain-controlled process.

In 1993 I was giving a seminar at Texas A&M and a question from the audience was “What strategies could be used to increase the mobility of state-of-the-art CMOS. I suggested that stress effects, if controlled, might be used.

in 2002, Intel surprised the industry by announcing the use of "strained silicon" for their 90nm process node. Ge was placed in the p+ contacts to increase the boron concentration to lower the p+ contact resistance, which was one solution to a known scaling limitation. However, in addition to lower contact resistance, there was also a “Good Surprise.”  A higher PMOS gain was observed that was not predicted by simulation. Today controlled stress is a standard process for advanced CMOS processes.

                What I learned from Pearson was stress can change semiconductor mobilities, and that “Lifelong Learning” is useful.

Refs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Pearson, “A 90nm High Volume Manufacturing Logic Technology Featuring Novel Strained Silicon Transistors” T. Ghani, M. Armstrong, C. Auth, M. Bohr, et al., IEDM, 2002

 

Benjamin Abeles -1960 (Material Science Researcher)

In 1939, Abeles arrived in the UK, at age 12yrs from Prague with a number tattooed on his arm. He was one of a lucky ~600 youngsters brought to the UK who survived the holocaust. I occasionally had lunch with Ben and our team manager George Cody at RCA Labs in Princeton NJ and once asked, “Ben, how did you get that number on your arm?” He dismissively said, ‘I got that when I was a kid in Prague,’ and it was not discussed further.  Much later, in 2011, I learned of his early story from the streamed film “Nicki’s Family.”  It is a WWII survival story, complementary to Schindler’s list.

Ben certainly loved the USA, once saying “What a country this is, going to the moon and fighting to save democracy at the same time!”

In wartime England Ben serviced RAF airplanes. After WWII, he moved to Israel for a PhD in physics.  In the early 60’s at RCA Laboratories he developed a measurement system for the Seebeck Coefficient (Voltage from a Thermocouple Material) that enabled the development of thermoelectrics for “remote” power generation. He was key on a team that developed SiGe alloys for thermoelectric power generation. SiGe is used because it’s high thermal resistance enables a higher temperature difference and higher voltage output. The lasting superiority of SiGe is unusual.  A first developed material system is usually replaced by an improved system. After 7 decades of research on other materials, there is no better thermocouple material for remote power generation than SiGe alloys.

SiGe alloys are used for thermoelectric power generation in the Voyager spacecrafts. Heat is generated by radioactive plutonium-238 and power is generated from the heated SiGe thermocouple junction. After 40 years, the Pl-238/SiGe power source is still running.

In 2026 it takes about 2 days for a round-trip radio signal from earth to Voyager-I to be sent and received.  For interplanetary travel, there will be no better power source than Radioactive Thermoelectric power generation. Although there may be a different radioactive heat source, SiGe will be the power conversion material of choice.

In 2011, I met with George Cody at lunch to review our careers, since mine started in his group at RCA. In the early 60’s, at that time, I worked on an alternate thermoelectric, InGaAs and separately also on the Nb3Sn superconductor. Cody said Ben remembered me. When I think of the human and technical achievement ongoing in Voyager, I think of Ben, his “escape” and his thermoelectric characterization equipment. Ben’s life contribution is an illustration of what one can do. Ben passed December 2020.

                I learned that one’s technical contributions can extend beyond any boundary.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Benjamin Abeles; Abeles, et.al. “Thermal Conductivity of Ge-Si Alloys at High Temperatures”, Phys Rev. 125, 44, 1 Jan 1962.

 

Leon N. Cooper and John Bardeen circa 1962-64 (Nobelists, Superconductivity)

Leon Cooper was an American physicist and co-author of the “BCS” (Bardeen, Cooper-Schrieffer) theory of superconductivity, published in 1956. He received a Noble Prize in Physics in 1972 for his contribution centered on the idea that a superconducting state is accompanied by “paired electrons” famously referred to as “Cooper Pairs,” having a binding energy or “Energy Gap”.

While every superconductor researcher in the period generally aligned with the BCS theory, there was the interesting question: “Could there be a superconducting state (zero resistance) without an energy gap, could there be “Gapless Superconductivity?”

Around 1963, I wanted to ask this question after Cooper gave an American Physical Society talk in New York but did not have the courage to ask in the public forum. Following him out of the auditorium, I asked the question in a one-on-one environment, to which he succinctly responded, “Not in my theory” and walked off. He was obviously not interested. But I still considered it a useful question.

I wrote to John Bardeen at University of Illinois with the same question, and he responded with a personally signed letter, saying he had “prepared something” but had seen a preprint on gapless superconductors by Maki from Japan so he would not be publishing. The topic was widely pursued both experimentally and theoretically.

It is now known that magnetic impurities can reduce the superconducting energy gap, while still maintaining a zero-resistance superconducting state. One possible application might be devices that are “gap engineered” using different magnetic atomic concentrations for different gaps and possibly different communication wavelengths.

I learned that Cooper may have been finished with the superconducting theory and not interested in its possible variations. Indeed, he went on to make other contributions.  From my communication with Bardeen - the only person ever to win two Noble Prizes - he was available to communicate even with a student who was not his.

Refs: wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon Cooper, and wikipedia.org/wiki/John Bardeen, and Bardeen, J., Cooper, L. N., & Schrieffer, J. R. (1957). Theory of superconductivity.  Phys, Rev.,108(5), 1175–1204.

 

Bill Boyle -1965 (Nobelist)

Bill Boyle was a Director at Bell Labs, where with George Smith, he co-invented the Charge Couple Device (CCD) which was an early version of a solid-state device to make an electronic picture. They immediately understood that this would change the photography business landscape. Every time one looks at a picture on their cell phone, that picture has its origin using their CCD concept. Boyle and Smith received the Noble Prize in Physics for their CCD invention in 2009.

Boyle was Director of Device Development and greeted me on my first day of employment at Bell Labs and asked when I graduated. When I told him just the week earlier, he commented, “So, you didn’t take anytime off…that tells me a lot about your ambition, I think you will like the work we do here.”  Two years later he personally assigned me to a startup Ion Implantation development group. He said the Labs was big enough to reassign trained physicists as often as every 2 years. He worked hard at positioning my transfer as normal. Ion Implantation became a successful career platform for me. The initial Department Head of the Implant group was George Smith. It would be hard to fail. One of the first device applications was the fabrication of Double Drift IMPATT Microwave Oscillator power source, where precise implantations of both donors and acceptors were used.

Boyle taught me that learning about the personalities of his staff could provide insight for their best utilization.

Refs: Willard Boyle and George Smith, U.S. Patent No. 3,858,232, "Localized Charge Storage and Serial Transfer Through Semiconductor Potential Wells," 1974. and US3792322A.

 

George E. Smith 1967-2020 (Nobelist, CCD Inventor of an Electronic Picture)

George E. Smith was co-inventor of the CCD (Charged Coupled Device) and a Noble Laurate. He was also a friend, a sailing colleague, and a paternal mentor. Once I had developed impurity gettering knowledge using both Phosphorus Diffusion and Ion Implantation damage circa 1973, George realized my results were inconsistent with what Goetzberger and the very famous Wiliam Shockley had published. He arranged a meeting for me with Shockley. (see below)

The staff at Bell Labs realized they could support one hobby, financially and from a time-available standpoint. For George Smith and me, it was sailing in Barnegat Bay, located 2 hours from the Bell Labs at Murray Hill, NJ. George ran an open class sailing club (named “5B’s” for Barnegat Bay Boating, Bailing and Boozing Society). There were about a half dozen races each year, starting around Easter and ending around Thanksgiving. After the races, the club would meet at a restaurant, and prizes were made to for first to finish in corrected and uncorrected time.

My boat was a Rhodes 22, named “Sum Luck”. It had a relatively large cockpit and small sleeping area. It was great going downwind but poor “going-to-wind.” One race was just one-way from Barnegat to Tom’s River, and on that day, the wind was 30 knots from the south, perfect for Sum Luck.  There were 2-foot waves that allowed us to surf. Going wing-on-wing, we ran without a single tack the whole way and averaged about 15% above hull limiting speed, finishing first overall and second on corrected time, earning a pewter cup.

After George Smith retired, he bought a double ender sailboat, a 31ft Southern Cross.  He named it “Apogee” outfitted it with 50ft boat gauge rigging and sailed around the world with his partner, Janet.  The circumnavigation was 2 years longer than planned because of an extended stay in New Zealand.

He was back home in NJ, when awarded the Nobel Prize. On that early morning in 2009, he saw the news online and woke Janet, exclaiming “Janet, Janet, I won a Noble Prize” .., her response: “Oh George, it’s early, go back to sleep.”  George passed in 2025.

I learned from George Smith - a giant technical personality – he was never too busy to be both paternal in the workplace and a lifelong social friend.

Ref: wikipedia.org/wiki/George_E._Smith Nobel Lecture: “The invention and early history of the CCD,” George E. Smith,   Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 2307 13 August, 2010.

 

Dawon Kahng - 1972 (Static Flash Memory Inventor)

Dawon had already invented the Flash Memory MOSFET transistor in 1967. He was  Bell Lab’s host for a Soviet scientific delegation that visited Bell at Murray Hill NJ, in October 1972.  I was invited to present my work on impurity gettering to the Soviets, they were only mildly interested in the topic. I then joined them for lunch. 

At lunch, the Russians were politically confrontational. One asked, “Dr. Seidel, what do you think of your president (Nixon)?” I responded, ‘That’s not for me to say.’  I was also asked by the only Russian woman (name like Adamcazk?) in their group, “Dr. Seidel, how can you say you support woman’s rights when you have almost no women in management positions at Bell Labs? 

I seldom have the presence of mind to handle such a question, but this time I did. Noting that she was the only woman is their delegation of about a dozen, I replied, “Well, our woman’s management percentage is higher than your representation, being the only woman in your group. The Russian men, at the lunch table roared with laughter.  I had carried the day for our side.

I learned that Soviet Russian scientists believed in their political system and were politically contentious.

Ref; Wikipedia, org/wiki/Dawon Kahng; and US 3,500,142A

 

Willam Shockley ~1973 (Bipolar Transistor Inventor, Nobel Laurate)

Wiliam Shockley famously published an early description for a bipolar transistor while at Bell Labs. For this he won a Nobel Prize in 1956.  He had left Bell and then failed to manage his own semiconductor business. Later he was a Stanford professor and a consultant to Bell Labs.  George Smith suggested and arranged a meeting for me with Shockley to discuss my research on gettered impurities that I had recently published at the 1973 Ion Implantation Research Symposium at IBM.

I was introduced and then we were left alone. Shockley had published, with Goetzberger, that the gettering of unwanted impurities was due to the “Phosphorus Glass,” but my research showed the gettered impurities were 99% in the out-diffused phosphorus doped silicon and only a trace amount was the phosphorus glass. After about 15 minutes, where I described my experimental results, Shockley said, “Ok, I understand all this, why are we here?”  When I cited his paper with Goetznberger, he said, “Oh, I remember that, we were just guessing, but you have data, so you can reference our paper or not. Let’s go to lunch.”

At lunch, I learned that Shockley was an avid stamp collector. The US Post office had recently issued commemorative stamps (1973) on the progress in Electronics. I suggested sending him some self-addressed envelopes with the “Electronics” commemorative stamps; he could sign his name and address in the upper left of the envelope and mail them back to me. Such envelopes would be valued by serious Philatelists. When he visited the Labs again a few months later, he stopped me in the cafeteria and said, “Hey Tom, you never sent me those stamped envelopes, please do that!”  But, this never happened.

I learned it was regrettable to miss an opportunity to continue a relationship with a famous person.

Ref: https://www.nobelprize.org/uploads/2018/06/shockley-lecture.pdf

 

Ginny Cochrane - 1973 (Skiing Family Pioneer)

It was a family skiing vacation in Vermont. We were taking beginner group lessons, and my family had taken seats on the lift ahead of me. I was joined by an unknown woman wearing a red jacket with an American flag on her sleeve. The scope of our conversation: “I’m here with my family from New Jersey; my wife and 3 kids are on lift seats ahead.” The woman in a red jacket: “I live here in Vermont and started our kids skiing at an early age. …they love it … It’s a great sport.”

Getting off the lift, our ski instructor rapidly skied up to me, and excitedly exclaimed, “Do you know who that was? it was Ginny Cochrane! and her kids are Olympic champions.” Later, halfway down the hill, our instructor stopped our lesson. Ginny Cochrane was coming at high speed, beautifully un-weighting and about to ski past us. Then, right in front of us, she goes airborne and gracefully lands with perfect controlled compression.  It was seeing how beautifully this can be done.

After her sons’ medals, Ginny’s daughter, Barbara Ann won gold at Sapporo in 1972 and grandson, Ryan won a silver at Cortina in 2026, multi-generational Olympic champions.

What was noteworthy: Ginny never told me her boys already medaled as Olympians.  It was more important to her to share the experience that she started them skiing at an early age. The other thought is that competition at the Olympic level is very, very close. The difference in women’s downhill between gold and 8th place at Cortina in 2026 was just 1 second out of a winning run time of 96 seconds. Winning at this level is both special and lucky.  Whatever her special personality might have been, her interest in skiing has proceeded through 3 family generations at the highest level.

Ginny taught me that fame itself is not more important than creating the conditions for fame.

Ref: wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiing_Cochrans

 

WWII Fighter Pilots - June 1974

In early spring of 1974, I was bottom painting my sailboat at our summer house in Barnegat, NJ. A neighbor approached and asked, “Can you take my cousin John sailing? He’s an avid sailor from England and will be visiting me in June. “Sure,” I offered, “when he comes, just let me know.” In the first week of June, John arrived. I asked him to meet at the local Marina, which he did.

Just before pushing off, I noticed my friend Jake Jacobs working on his boat in the neighboring slip. I had crewed with him on his Hunter a few weeks earlier in a race and “owed” him. “Jake, come out with us today,” I insisted, and he eventually obliged after several refusals. It was an incredible blue-sky sailing day with 15 knot southerly winds. We easily made it to the inlet near Barnegat Light House and anchored up for lunch, drinks and a swim.

Once anchored, John asked, “Jake what did you do in your former life?” Jake, rather proudly proclaimed “I was a Messerschmidt pilot in WWII.” Then, John with a slightly more intensive English accent said, “That’s very interesting, I was a RAF-Hurricane pilot in WWII.” There was a measured pause, as if they might be considering how to continue this conversation. Then Jake continued first, “I flew over Normandy, made a quick strafing run and was really scared.” John countered, “that was my mission as well, I couldn’t get my strafing run done fast enough and was never so scared as on that day.

I shoved open beers into their hands and suggested we all go for a swim and then head back to the Marina. I do not recall any further conversation about WWII.

Interestingly John’s flight was one of about 10,000 allied flights made on D-day itself, and there is only a record of only 3 German flights that day. I suspect Jake made his flight a day or so after D-day as the battle for Normandy lasted a few days. Our sailing event was 30 years to the week from D-Day.  Two opposing fighter pilots recalled the event, in a chance meeting, and shared their role at a most significant event of WWII.

What I learned from this unusual encounter is that serendipity has no limits. Just be open to engaging and then unusual things can happen. I am still puzzled by the meaning of this meeting; some might call it a “God Wink.”

Ref: “Allied Tactical Airpower in the Summer, Fall of 1944,” National WWII Museum, New Orleans.  Note: In fact-checking air activities at Normandy, there were no Hawker Hurricanes, but only Hawker Typhoons. John may have used the Hurricane name as it was prominent in British consciousness, well known for attacking German bombers in the Battle of Britain.

 

William Shatner -1979 (Actor, well known for Captain Kirk role in Star Trek)

William Shatner was on site at Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ to film a several minute TV advertisements for ATT.  He had specifically asked for lunch with a “Member of the Technical Staff,” not a manager and in a private area, explicitly not in a public cafeteria. It was his wish to avoid an autograph rush. It was a time when he was dealing with the “Trekkies.” I was assigned to have a one-on-one lunch with him.

I went to a small conference room in the executive wing and took a seat at a square table to Shatner’s left.  During lunch he wanted to know what Bell Labs Mathematicians did. I did NOT know. I offered that they wrote code and developed computer languages like C.

Actually, they were central to the transformation from audio to digital communication of telephone speech. I had contributed to developing Analogue-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analogue IC chips. Touch-tone phones replaced rotary dialing in the mid 1970’s.

Mathematicians at Bell Labs earlier fundamentally shaped modern technology by inventing information theory. Key contributions included:

About 45, minutes into lunch, an assistant appeared and said, “I hate to break this up, Mr. Shatner, but I have to get you ready for the filming” At which time Shatner rose and put on a jacket. He also noticeably changed his posture. When sitting at lunch, he was just another person, but when he stood up and put his working jacket on, he transformed to “Captain Kirk” right before my eyes.

His filming was done in the entry area leading to the Integrated Circuits development facility. His three short “takes” were perfect and although an hour was planned, he was done in 20 minutes, even with repeat takes.

I approached and asked, “Would he be ok for a single autograph to commemorate the event?” He briefly discussed this with his director and agreed. I found a young blonde technician I did not know, and she brought him the pen and paper for his signature. She was frozen. Shatner laughed, pulled the pen from her hand and made the autograph.

Then there was a transformation. No one told the working staff that there would be just one autograph (this was my bad). At least a dozen people queued up for an autograph. The IC Fab manager cleared the area, and the fab workers transformed to Captain Kirk fans left disappointed. One exclaimed… “Please Mr. Shatner, just one for my son.” Shatner exclaimed to his director associate, “I told you so!”

So, this was an experience in controlling the appetite of fans for famous people. Shatner was exceptional in his acting performance and his interest in what mathematicians did at Bell Labs. It was a working day. He did not come to do autographs.

I learned that famous people have limits regarding engaging with the public, and they set guard rails, but also Shatner was genuinely interested in learning what Bell Labs mathematicians contributed. It was a very good question.

Ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shatner

 

Angie Dickenson -1984 (Actress, well known for her role in Police Woman)

I was going to San Diego for a conference on Defects in Semiconductors and decided to go thru LA for the closing day of the 1984 Summer Olympics. I had enough extra cash to buy a commemorative gold coin or perhaps pay a scalpers price to get inside for the closing ceremonies.

First, I wanted to collect some inexpensive “Olympic pins” that were available in the park in front of the main entrance to the Colosseum. I was looking at a board of pins. Then only inches from me a good-looking woman appeared who also was looking for pin memorabilia. We started to chat… “who were you getting these for, etc.” then a different woman with a camera approached and asked her, “excuse me, are you Angie Dickenson? “

“Yes, I am,” the answer came back. I was simply dumbstruck. Then the photographer in a forceful tone said to me, “would you move over so I can get Miss Dickenson’s picture?”  Before anything else happened, Dickenson took over and said, “If you are going to take my picture, you can take it with this guy as well, we’ll sit on that park bench over there.”

A photo was taken and Dickenson went off toward the Colosseum, asking me if I was attending. She said if I got the photo to send it to her in care of the Johnny Carson show.

At the Olympics that day, I did not go inside, but bought a gold commemorative coin -later gave it to my grandson at my 50th wedding anniversary celebration- it was a good investment ($300 in 1984, is ~$5000 in 2026). I did not go inside the Colosseum but watched marathon runners enter the stadium late in the day. Six months later I received the photo, but never sent it on to Dickenson thru Carson.

I learned that a movie star has a way of interacting with the public that is sensitive to their feelings. Dickenson was not more important than me.

Ref: .wikipedia.org/wiki/Angie_Dickinson

 

Jack Kilby -1984 (Integrated Circuit Inventor and Nobelist)

George Smith called me into his office and asked if I would participate in a Foreign Assessment Science Information Corp (FASIC) study for DARPA on the status of microelectronics in the Soviet Union. A committee of experts would meet to share their opinions in Washington, chaired by Jack Kilby, the inventor of the Integrated Circuit at Texas Instruments.

The methodology was to have experts in various technology areas assess the Soviet capability, by only reading their published literature. I would address Ion Implantation. I was provided a few hundred hard copies of translated Russian technical articles on Ion Implantation. George himself accepted an assessment of Lithography.

A month later, we met in Washington and I did a 5-slide presentation of my assessment in front of our Kilby Committee, which concluded that there was ion implant equipment and capabilities in the Soviet Union like that in the west. Their “Vesuvius” implanter had energy and current like in the west at the time. Considerable annealing characterization was already done. Devices, like self-aligned MOSFETS could be made knowing the annealing conditions to use.

However, there were no Transmission Electron Microscopy reports of residual extended defect structures. Therefore, as the assessment for removal of this kind of extended damage was limited, it was unlikely that they were well positioned -at that time- to scale down feature sizes with high yield.

After our committee had a one-day preparatory meeting, the next day we met with a DARPA audience. Kilby introduced each speaker and their topic, for me saying “Tom, will you do Ion Implant?” There were no questions on my topic from DARPA.

This experience led me to understand that intelligence in the hands of an important national organization like DARPA is not accidental. One must be proactive and the idea of assessing the literature of one’s competitors is a standard methodology.

Ref: wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kilby, and "Miniaturized Electronic Circuits," February 6, 1959. U.S. Patent 3,138,743,

 

Buzz Aldrin -1986 (Second man to walk on the moon)

My Admin assistant, Kay Alexander, came into my office in San Diego and announced that Buzz Aldrin would be giving a seminar at UC Irvine. Aldrin was the second person to set foot on the moon and had accompanied Neil Armstrong on the 1969 Apollo flight. Kay asked, “Did I want to go?”  Yes, and I was provided with tickets. My wife and I sat in the first row in a surprisingly small conference room with an audience of about 50.

Aldrin was impressive. He passionately promoted moon and interplanetary exploration, using his concept of “transporter travel,” also named “The Mars Cycler”or the “Aldrin Cycler.” This concept places a relatively large space vehicle in orbit between earth and Mars (or the moon) where gravity provides the energy to perpetually maintain it in orbit. A smaller space vehicle brings astronauts and supplies to (and from) the Cycler, and they make the trip(s) to mars or the moon.

I always thought this was a brilliant concept but has not been implemented to date because of the upfront expense and other NASA priorities.

Aldrin’s life has been exceptional. He was a Korean war fighter pilot with 2 MIGs shot down, an MIT Astrophysics PhD, the NASA pilot-astronaut on Apollo 11, second person to walk on the moon and most photographed there (Neil Armstrong had the camera most of the time), and numerous post Apollo 11 achievements.

I learned that in the future, the “Aldrin Cycler” or a version of it will be used for continuing missions to the Moon and Mars. There’s no obvious better way to take all the supplies needed to sustain such a remote, long-term mission.

Ref: wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin and "Cycler Orbit Between Earth and Mars,” D. V. Byrnes, J, M, Longuski and B. Aldrin, J. Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 30, 3, pp 334-336, June 1 1993.

 

Robert Noyce -1988 (Intel Co-founder and Integrated Circuit Inventor)

In 1988, Rober Noyce, co-founder of Intel, took a leave of absence from Intel to be CEO of SEMATECH (ST), a US consortium composed 14 of US semiconductor chip making companies. The mission was to restore US semiconductor market share, which at the time was dominated by Japanese DRAM memory chip producers. 

At an early staff meeting, Noyce stated his strategy. It was going to be to provide improved US equipment. It was remarked that “supply chains win wars.” At that staff meeting, Noyce asked the staff “How would we manage the strategy? After a short pause, I suggested we could have departments, that I named “Thrusts,” for each kind of specialized equipment, such as Lithography, Deposition, Etch, Metrology and the like, with member company experts leading each Thrust.

Noyce immediately said, “Ok, that’s what we will do.”   (It was as if Eisenhower famously had just said “Let’s Go.”)  Both the strategy and management structure were defined in about 10 minutes at one of Noyce’s first Staff Meetings at SEMATECH. About a week later, the Joint Development Projects (JDP), Equipment Improvement Projects (EIP) and ST Fab Equipment Development (SIP) groups were formed. I was placed in charge of the JDP’s with an annual budget of $80M and a staff of about 100.

Later before a different staff meeting, Noyce commented that my writing implied more than an engineer’s training and asked where my writing skill was developed. He said he also had an undergraduate liberal arts component to his education and then asked me to draft and issue the weekly staff meeting notes. That was a powerful assignment.

One of Noyce’s concepts for US Lithography was ST’s investment in GCA company to populate multiple ST company fabs. This EIP project went well, but the DUV 248nm was late on the lens qualification and AMD and IBM pushed for leading Lithography to be developed by ASML, supported by Zeiss and that became the now famous Dutch Litho company. Noyce Passed unexpectedly in 1990 at age 63.

I learned that Noyce (like Boyle) was interested in more information about those he chose to mentor.

Ref: .wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Noyce, and U.S. Patent. 2,981,877 for a "Semiconductor Device-and-Lead Structure," April 25, 1961. His internal wiring allowed practical mass production that powered modern microelectronics.

 

Joe Parkenson -1990 (Co-Founder of Micron)

Joe and his twin brother Ward founded a leading US memory semiconductor company, “Micron.” Joe was on SEMATECH’s board of directors when Noyce passed away. He appeared at my office about a month later and asked if I was interested in replacing Noyce. I had presented to the SEMATECH board a few times at that point and felt that I had not gained their highest confidence. I responded that I would be honored to serve but said I did not think I had yet gained the confidence of the SEMATECH board to be CEO, but Joe “would let me know if it would fly.”

I did not hear back from him on this question, and he continued as a leading person at Micron. Interestingly, Motorola and IBM, two US semi leaders at the time sold their businesses and TI outsourced much manufacturing to TSMC. Micron left SEMATECH and survived decade after decade, using low-cost production strategies, like buying used equipment and improving both used and new equipment using their own engineering. Today they are the pre-eminent vertically integrated DRAM memory supplier. They have the leading-edge 3D stacked memory design and are considered an essential supplier for the AI buildout.

I learned Joe would consider all options for the management of SEMATECH after Noyce died and it was flattering to be considered for Noyce’s replacement.

Ref. wikipedia.org/wiki/Micron_Technology

 

Tadhiro Ohmi 1992 (Tohoku University Professor, founder of the Ultra Clean Society)

Professor Ohmi and I had given back-to-back keynote presentations at MITI’s Global Partnership Conference ISSMT 92. Then, during the period when SEMATECH was considering international membership participation, Ohmi visited SEMATECH promoting his concept of the value of ultraclean equipment and “perfect” factory processes.

At lunch, I told him he might be providing a value to SEMATECH and the semiconductor industry at large that was similar to that Demming contributed to post war Japan’s adoption of quality processes. That initiated Japan’s emergence as a premier manufacturing nation.

In a few weeks, I received an invitation to take a sabbatical at Sendai’s Tohoku University. As interesting as this career diversion might have been, after a discussion with my CEO Bill Spencer, I politely declined. Nonetheless, Ohmi’ s initiatives did indeed promote higher semiconductor manufacturing yields, and the industry progressed thru many generations due in no small part to “Ohmi’s Rules.”

I learned that a flattering, but true comment, will result in a positive response.

Ref: https://www.semiconductor-digest.com/omhi-kept-us-ultra-clean/

Bill Bradley ~1993 (pro Basketball Player and US Senator)

I was waiting on standby for a seat on a United flight from SFO to Washington DC. I thought I recognized Senator Bill Bradley getting on first class. Eventually, I was directed to first class and had the seat inside him. He rose to allow me to enter my seat inside his. A few moments after seating and before takeoff, I asked, “Excuse me, but are you “Dollar Bill?”  This was his nickname from basketball fame. With a very disappointed look on his face, he said, “Yes, I am” and then stood up, took out a thick sheath of papers from his briefcase and stuffed them into his seat pocket. As if to say… “I’ll be working and DON’T YOU DARE TALK TO ME.  I did not talk to him until about 20 minutes before landing.

I mentioned my tenure at SEMATECH, how it was funded by DARPA and enabled equipment suppliers for the US Semi-industry. He seemed interested, asking “how did that work?”  I went through a few things. Near the end of the trip, I mentioned the Consortium concept could be applied to any US industry, for example auto manufacturing. He seemed interested. Bradley left politics a few years later and pretty much disappeared from public life. He was talented, charismatic, and impressive.

I learned that, at the right time and conditions, he was approachable by a stranger.

 

Edward Teller – 1995 (H-Bomb Inventor and Nobelist)

We had just attended a WWII 50th year celebration in Fredericksburg, TX. Memories include a 4-year-old girl saluting a passing American flag and Pearl Harbor veterans driven in a open truck. A single P51 - at a few hundred feet altitude - flew down above the main street. In the newspaper, it was mentioned that Edward Teller (father-inventor of the H-bomb) would be speaking in San Antonio in a few days. We went to that event. Teller was one of 5 people on a panel who spoke about the development and use of the Atomic Bomb. After the presentations, Teller was alone on the stage. I went to speak to him before he got up and asked him directly, “What was your opinion about how the A-Bomb could have been used? He said” “It could have been done differently.” I repeated my question, asking “but what was your position on how it should be used?  He repeated exactly the same thing… “It could have been done differently.”

This response obviously was something he had used before. It was a safe answer, it did not take a particular position on the bomb use, but it implied he favored a use that did not kill so many people.

I must say, it was a thrill to speak with him, such a famous person and the co-designer of the H-bomb. He had created a mechanism capable of destroying mankind. That was big stuff. Today, five countries have H-bomb arsenals. The United States and Russia each maintain about a thousand of atomic weapons, and most are the H-bomb type; the United Kingdom, France, and India also have them, while Israel and North Korea likely have that capability. The closest the world came to actual H-bomb use was during the Cuban Missile Crisis between the United States and the Soviet Union around 1965.

I learned that a position on a contentious issue could be consistently deflected.

Refs: wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Teller, and see his complex engagement in the H-bomb design.

 

Tuomo Suntola ~1996 (Material Scientist and Atomic Layer Deposition Inventor)

Suntola had visited SEMATECH during a US tour to promote Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) at a time when it was not even on the Industry’s Semiconductor Technology RoadMap. I knew this technology’s time had come for memory and gate dielectrics on high aspect ratio devices. I then joined Genus, a semiconductor equipment company in Sunnyvale, CA with products in CVD and Ion Implantation. Also, the Suntola original patents had expired, so it seemed reasonable to develop advanced equipment that could be accepted and used by the current major High-Volume Manufacturers, HVM.

I made a trip to Helsinki and invited Suntola to partner with Genus, whose tungsten CVD equipment was already sold to semiconductor HVM community. Suntola was a gracious host, showing some ALD equipment and systems that were used at the Helsinki airport. He recognized that the ASM company was a better partner (European location and reputation) for bringing the ALD technology to the semiconductor HVM.

However, Genus independently developed its own ALD equipment, differentiating it by maintaining constant pressure during chemical precursor exposure and removal cycles. When ASM sued Genus for patent infringement, the suit failed because of Genus’s iso-pressure manifold. Many companies provide ALD systems today, and ASM has a leading position..

I learned that it is hard to keep complete ownership of a technology, even if one is a pioneer of that technology.

  • Refs wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuomo_Suntola, and US 4,058,430, US 4,413,022, and T. Suntola, "Atomic Layer Epitaxy", Tech. Digest of ICVGE-5, San Diego, 1981

 

Gordon Moore -1997 (Intel Co-founder and driver of Moore’s Law)

I was invited to Bell Lab’s 50th Anniversary of the celebration of the invention of the transistor.  I was one of only a few invited who were not retired senior executives. Walter Brown, a department head and researcher in particle physics put me on the invitation list. It was a 2-day event. The first day was full of presentations about the discovery and development of the bipolar transistor. Central to these presentations was the importance of Silicon versus Germanium. The original operation of a silicon transistor at boiling water temperatures was illustrated against Germanium.

A fine dinner with speeches capped the first evening. All events, including lab tours were completed with a cocktail party being held at the end of the second day.  I was standing on the perimeter of the cocktail gathering and noticed that Gordon Moore was standing by himself. No one was talking to him. Can you imagine that? I thought. I approached and introduced myself, saying I had been on Noyce’s staff at SEMATECH. Noyce and Moore had founded Intel, although Noyce had died unexpectedly in 1992. In 1997, I was with Genus and their High Energy Ion Implant tools were selling well. However, Intel had not bought any. I started to market the Genus MeV Ion Implant tool to Gordon Moore. Once he got the idea, he politely thanked me and said he would pass the information onto the Intel staff.

It is worth mentioning that Gordon Moore was a driver of the Semiconductor Industry Roadmaps that appeared circa the 1990’s and later. He sent letters to many industry participants with a personally signed letter, requesting Roadmaps development that covered the industry’s needs for the next 15 tears.

As accomplished and famous as Gordon Moore was, in late life he still learning and he accommodated a stranger’s approach.

Refs: wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Moore, and "Cramming More Components onto Integrated Circuits". Electronics Magazine. 38 (8): 114–117, April 1965.

 

Judy Woodruff – 2016 (PBS Anchor News Reporter)

My wife, Jeanne and I went to a Hillary Clinton rally in Daytona, FL. It was an overflow crowd, but we waited in a long line, about a block long. Walking along this line was a familiar-looking person. I am not usually good a recognizing people, but I quickly recognized Judy Woodruff, …the news anchor woman from PBS…

I exclaimed… “Hey you are Judy Woodruff, aren’t you? We watch you almost every night… she stopped and I asked her for a selfie with me. She obliged.

I had not done selfies much and was so excited that I took a photo of my shoulder and did not get her face in the photo.

We got into the rally as one of the last allowed in. The crowd was excited and very noisy.

I learned that Woodruff allowed herself to be inclusive with the public.

Refs: wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Woodruff, and Judy Woodruff's goodbye message to viewers…". PBS. Archived from the original on December 31, 2022

 

 CV

Thomas E. Seidel
14 River Point Drive, Palm Coast FL, 32137
408 309 9571, zoomtotom@gmail.com


Thomas (Tom) E. Seidel is a semiconductor process technologist, with a 50+ year career, and service at Bell Laboratories, J.C. Schumacher (Air Products), UC-Santa Barbara, SEMATECH, and Genus (AIXTRON). Currently, he is a Research Affiliate at MIT, a Prof. of Practice at U of FL and consults under the name Seitek50.

Tom received a PhD. in physics from Stevens Institute of Technology (1965), a BS in Electronic-physics at St. Joseph’s University (1957) and a MS in physics at the U of Notre Dame (1959).

He joined Bell Laboratories in 1965 and characterized the silicon hole velocity at high electric fields for microwave source avalanche diode development.1, P1 He then was a charter member of Bell Labs’ ion implantation group, characterizing implanted boron dopant activation rate (“Seidel Kinetics”),2 gettering,3 integrated on-chip resistors,4 P2 bipolar and MOS transistors. In 1977, he held a teaching-research sabbatical at Cal-Tech.5 The above was the basis for the tutorial chapter “Ion Implantation,” published in “VLSI Technology.” 6 In the early 1980’s, he led a tech-transfer group for AT&T’s first CMOS manufacture, improving yield on 2-micron designs. In the mid 80’s he advanced rapid thermal annealing technology for ultra-shallow junctions,7 and lectured for the Material Research Society and was co-editor of MRS Symposium Proceedings.8 He received Bell’s “Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff Award” in 1984.

In 1985, he joined J.C. Schumacher Co. as VP of technology for silicon characterization and participated in its acquisition by Air Products. In 1987, he was Head of Microelectronics, at NSF’s Center for Robotic Systems in Microelectronics at the UC-Santa Barbara.9 Concurrently, he consulted for Linear Technology, Hughes Research, Sandia, TRW, Bell Labs and Air Products.

Tom joined SEMATECH, a consortium for advancing US semiconductor manufacturing in 1988. Initially a Fellow, he proposed an organization made up of “thrusts” such as Lithography, Metrology, Deposition, Etch, etc. He managed SEMATECH’s Joint Development Programs, with a budget of $80M/yr for 0.5um and 0.35um demonstrations. Some development tools used CRADAs, and he testified before the US Congress to expedite government signoffs. These activities took place while Tom was on CEO Robert Noyce’s Directors Staff, until Noyce’s untimely death in 1990. Later, Tom was Director of Strategic Technology (1991-95), responsible for initiation of advanced programs such as Dual Damascene and LoK,P3 SOI and early 300mm wafer quality proof of concept. He also managed the liaison with university programs and contributed to the early Semiconductor Industry Roadmap at the “Overall Characteristics” level., 10,11 In 1993, he presented a programmatic plan for SEMATECH’s second 5 years to the Board of Directors, which was accepted.

In 1996, he joined Genus Inc. as CTO with responsibility for technical direction of CVD and Ion Implant businesses. He promoted the use of Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) when it was a nascent market 12,13 and co-authored fourteen ALD based patents,.e.g.P4 Genus’ ALD tools, using an iso-pressure purge flow manifold, were sold in the semiconductor and data storage segments. Genus merged with AIXTRON in 2005, and Tom continued as CTO of the Silicon Semiconductor business unit until retiring in May 2008.

Recent Seitek50 activities include patent prosecution, expert declarations and portfolio positioning.  He was Senior Consultant for Schrodinger Inc.14 and collaborated on ALD films for shallow silicon doping with Argonne National Laboratories.15 He published the concept of combination ion implant and ALD/ALE processes for the placement of localized films on high aspect ratio 3D structures.16, P5

Tom has over 100 publications and 29 US patents. He is a senior member of IEEE and has been a member of the MRS, ECS, and AVS-ALD organizations, and the VLSI Technology Symposium Committees. He has chaired Sandia’s External Peer Technical Review Committee.

Selected US Patents

P1: 3,466,512                “Impact avalanche transit time diode with heterojunction”

P2: 3,965,453 “Piezoresistive Effects in Semiconductor Resistors”

P3: 6,100,184 “Method of making a dual damascene interconnect structure using low dielectric constant material for an inter-level dielectric layer”

P4: 7,981,473                “Transient enhanced atomic layer deposition”

P5: 10,923,359              “Angle Directed Ion Beam Assisted Atomic Layer Etch Processes for localized                                                 deposition on non-planar surfaces.”

Selected Publications

  1. T. E. Seidel and D. L. Scharfetter, A High-Power Double Drift IMPATT Solid Source, Proceedings of the IEEE (Vol. 58, Issue 7, pp. 1135–1136). July 1970
  2. T. E. Seidel and A. U. MacRae, The Isothermal (Kinetic) Annealing of Boron Implanted Silicon,”    “Radiation Effects (Gordon and Breach) 7, 1-6, 1971.
  3. T. E. Seidel and W. C. Gibson, “Buried Guarded Layer Ion Implanted Resistor,” Proceedings of the IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices 20, (8); p744-748                                                                                                            
  4. R. L. Meek and T. E. Seidel, “Enhanced Solubility and Ion Pairing of Cu and Au in Heavily Doped Silicon at High Temperatures,” J. Phys. Chem. Solids, 36, p731, 1975.                                                                                       
  5. W. Tseng, T. Koji, J. W. Mayer and T. E. Seidel, “Simultaneous Gettering of Au in Si by Phosphorus and Dislocations,” Applied Physics Letters, 33, (5) 1, p442, 1978.
  6. T. E. Seidel, “Ion Implantation” in “VLSI Technology,” 1st edition, Ed. S. M. Sze, McGraw Hill, ISBN: 0-07-062686-3, 1983                                                
  7. T. E. Seidel, “Rapid Thermal Processing of Semiconductors”, Encyclopedia of Materials Science and Engineering, MIT, Pergamon Press, p 1223-1228, 198.
  8. T. E. Seidel, MRS Symposia Proceedings: Rapid Thermal Processing, 1985 Vol 52, Rapid Thermal Annealing/ Chemical Vapor Depositing and Integrated Processing, 1989 Vol 146
  9. D. Chen, T. Seidel and S. Hackwood, “system. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 7, 3105–3111, 1989.
  10. T. E. Seidel, “SIA Roadmap and Semiconductor Materials Requirements,” MRS Symposium Proceedings: Vol 318.
  11. W. Spencer, T. Seidel, “National Technology Roadmaps: the U.S. Semiconductor Experience,” Proc. of 4th Internat. Conf. on Solid-State and IC Technology. Oct 24, 1995
  12. O. Sneh, R. B. Clark-Phelps, A. R. Londergan, J. Winkler and T. E. Seidel, “Thin Film Atomic Layer Deposition Equipment for Semiconductor Processing” Thin Solid Films, 402/1-2, p248, Jan 2002.
  13. T. E. Seidel, “Atomic Layer Deposition,” Handbook of Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology, 2nd Edition, Eds. Doering and Nishi, CRC Press, ISBN-13: 978-1-5744-675-3, 2008.
  14. T. E. Seidel, A. Goldberg, M. D. Halls, M. I. Current, “Simulation of nucleation and growth of atomic layer deposition phosphorus for doping of advanced FinFETs,” J. Vac. Sci. Tech. A34(1), 01A150, 2016.
  15. A. U. Mane, A. Goldberg, T. E. Seidel, M. D. Halls, M.I. Current, J. Despres, O. Byl, Y. Tang, J. Sweeney and J. Elam, "Atomic layer disposition of boron-containing films using B2F4,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A34(1), 01A132., 2016
  16. T. E. Seidel and Michael I. Current, “Limited dose and angle-directed beam ALE and ALD processes for localized film coatings on 3D sidewall structures.” J.Vac Soc. Technol. A 38, 022602, doi: 10.1116/1.5133953. 2020.

 

 

Youthful Learnings

1941-45 was the WW2 war era. As a single child, age 6 to 10. I was raised by my grandparents and given high play time. I had space and a time limit and then was set free. I was a natural experimentalist. The news of the war also influenced my playtime imagination. Before any formal exposure to physics or chemistry, I had experienced a few things in nature by self-learning.

Going to school on a local train, I picked rocks from the train bed, put them in my school bag and practiced “bombing” a creek from an open train window. Due to the train’s motion, my first attempts failed. The “grenade-rocks” landed well beyond the target.  At age 6, I was familiar with the concept of “a projectile’s initial velocity.”

A year later, seated near a school window in winter, I noticed snowflakes landing on the windowsill, saw their star shape, and watched them melt. Structured matter and change of state were “in-play.”

There were stories of rescued pilots in the Pacific, and how they used mirrors to signal their position to a rescue plane. So, I practiced this, using a mirror to flash the reflected sun on different places and saw that it was feasible to track a moving airplane. Optics were “in- play.”

I would often call a stray dog, yelling “Ya, ya, did da de dee.” The sound echoed off the nearby hills and came back to my delight. An approaching train whistle and a doppler effect were also noticed. Acoustics were “in-play.”

I watched my grandparents play Auction Pinochle cards. One summer day, a thunderstorm approached.  A yellow-orange ball of flame, about the size of a watermelon, came right through an open window.  It was a slowly rotating ball, moving at about 5 feet per second, heading directly for my grandfather’s back! A few feet from him, it simply disappeared. I saw a rarely observed “ball lightning,” an excited gas plasma state in nature.

In high school, a classmate (Henry Gerstenberg - later an EE and a NIST careerist) introduced me to the Radio Amateur hobby. Learning the amplification characteristics of a vacuum triode tube was a good foundation for transistors, electronic physics and ultimately Integrated Circuits

 

 

Acquaintances, Friends, Colleagues, Co-authors, Managers…

H. Gerstenberg, A. Bur, W. Neal, J. Merz, H. Meissner, I. Kudman, T. Kinsel, L. Vieland, E. F. Hockings, C. M. Schmelz, E. F. Steigmeier, A. Wickland, J. Gittleman, B. Rosenbloom, B. Abeles, G. Cody

 

W. Boyle, G.E. Smith B. DeLoach, D. L. Scharfetter, R. A. Moline, A. U. MacRae, R. L. Meek, J. M. Poate, K. Pickar, J. North, L. C. Parrillo, R.S. Payne, S. P. Murarka, W.L Brown, L. Feldman, T. Misawa, W. C. Gibson, G. Pasteur, J. C. C. Tsai, R. E. Kerwin, A.G. Cullis, W. Tseng, T. Koji, R. L. Meek, M. Shoji, D. Lischner, S. P. Murarka, M. Tischler, N. Crosbie, I. Manz, S. Shive, E. Nicollian, G. Rozgonyi, S. M. Sze, D. Lischner, D. Maher, A. Sinha, C. W. Pearce, R. Fair, S. Shatas, S. Prussin, W. T. Lynch, H. Levinstein, S.S. Lau, C-S Pai, G. Celler, H.J.Leamy, D. Jacobson, J. S. Williams, W. Brinkman, J. W. Mayer, J. Plummer

 

J. C. Schumacher, D. Elwell, D. Roberts, J. Monkowski, E. Hu, D. Chen, S. Belenski, S. Hackwood

 

R. Noyce, T. Hasty, P. Mills, W. Spencer, W. George, S. Harrell, R. Stark, P.K Vasudev, B. Zhao, P. Zeitzoff, M. TerBeek, R. Horwath, D. Paliga, D. Reed, K. Ericksen, K. Herb, L. Novak, R. Manukonda, G. McMillan, G. Fuller, R. Clover, D. Ranadive, D. Hartman, V. Menon,  D. Williams, F. Robertson, G. Feit, B. Kuyel, K. Levy, L. Larson, H. Huff, V. Menon, A. Diebold, K. Lally, J. Canning, G. Escher, A. Tryba, P.K. Seidel, S. Kudda, G. Fuller, J. Frank, R. Markle, P. Gabella, J. Hackenberg, K. Maxwell, L. Jerde, K. Monnig, L. Larson, D. Ziger, K. Wilkes, S. Mittal, J. Stimmel, T. Turner, F. Geyling. A. Oscilowski, D. Kyser, P. Gargani, J. Traub, D. Deininger, W. Arnold, T. C. Smith, J. Meindl, R. Griffith, D. Rose, C. Barrett, T. Ohmi.

 

W.L. Elder, A. Londergan, C. Galewski, O. Sneh, R. B. Clark-Phelps, J. Winkler, S. Ramanathan, K. Vu, S. Rassigia, R. Hiznay, J. Winkler, L. Matthysse, X. Liu, A. Srivastava, E. Lee, M. Schumacher, S. Ramanathan, S.Q Wang, M. Daulesberg, J. Lintner, Z. Karim, Y. Senzaki, J. Borland, W. Glime, R. Doering, Y. Nishi, M. Gutsche, R. Gordon, S, George, T-J King Liu

 

M. I. Current, A. Goldberg, M. D. Hall, A. U. Mane, J. Despres, O. Byl, Y. Tang, J. Sweeney, J. Elam. L.C. Kimmerling, L. Rubin, K. Jones, R. Puurunen

 

 


********************* 
Virtual Project on the History of ALD (VPHA) - in atmosphere of Openness, Respect, and Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment