The Episode 2 was centered around the history of atomic layer deposition (ALD), but was also a "fireside chat" on many other topics. Mentioned were for example: conformality; catalysis; 40 Years of ALD in Finland – Photos, Stories (FinALD40 exhibition); Baltic ALD 2014 conference; story of Suntola’s atomic layer epitaxy; two almost parallel inventions of ALD; Beneq applab opening in St. Petersburg 2013; molecular layering; 1st international conference on atomic layer epitaxy 1990; international ALD conference series; November Networking – ALD at Aalto University; Millennium Technology Prize; Virtual Project on the History of ALD; ALD window; misconception of full monolayer growth per cycle for ideal ALD; conformality test concept & saturation profile & lumped sticking coefficient.
Persons mentioned, at least: Outi Krause, Suvi Haukka, Tuomo Suntola, Sven Lindfors, Arto Pakkala, Victor Drozd, Valentin Aleskovskii, Angel Yanguas-Gil, Jonas Sundqvist. Companies mentioned: Microchemistry, Neste, Beneq, Lohja, Picosun.
This podcast should be interesting for those interested in the history of ALD and the two independent inventions (atomic layer epitaxy and molecular layering). For example, it shares details related to the birth of the two ALD history essays in Chemical Vapor Deposition journal, which have not been presented earlier.
The podcast is available in at least via:
- the Beneq website: https://beneq.com/en/podcast/
- Spotify. Full podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/51i69jeWEb8BhmkbJ135Um, Episode 2: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7zUwL7RrMsx91qd7ZRZaBg?si=Yf1-g6sqQZ-cOyF_Zk3y0Q
Reviews in Applied Physics Reviews mentioned:
- Surface chemistry: R. L. Puurunen,Journal of Applied Physics 97, 121301 (2005); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1940727
- Crystallinity: V. Miikkulainen, M. Leskelä, M. Ritala, R. L. Puurunen, Journal of Applied Physics 113, 021301 (2013); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4757907
- Conformality of ALD: V. Cremers, R. L. Puurunen, J. Dendooven, Applied Physics Reviews 6, 021302 (2019); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5060967
Essays mentioned on the history of ALD:
- ALE essay: R. L. Puurunen, “A short history of atomic layer deposition: Tuomo Suntola’s atomic layer epitaxy,” Chemical Vapor Deposition 20 (2014) 332-344; https://doi.org/10.1002/cvde.201402012
- ML essay: A. A. Malygin, V. E. Drozd, A. A. Malkov, V. M. Smirnov, “From V. B. Aleskovskii’s “framework” hypothesis to the method of molecular layering/atomic layer deposition,” Chemical Vapor Deposition 21 (2015) 216-240; https://doi.org/10.1002/cvde.201502013
Also mentioned, a recently published paper on conformality analysis:
- J. Yim, O. M. E. Ylivaara, M. Ylilammi, V. Korpelainen, E. Haimi, E. Verkama, M. Utriainen, R. L. Puurunen, “Saturation profile based conformality analysis for atomic layer deposition: aluminum oxide in lateral high-aspect-ratio channels,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2020, advance article, https://doi.org/10.1039/D0CP03358H
Forgotten to mention: the Aalto OpenLearning site being built around ALD in international collaboration: https://openlearning.aalto.fi/course/view.php?id=100.
(This post has been slightly modified from another blog post by the same author: https://blogs.aalto.fi/catprofopen/2020/10/17/history-of-ald-ald-stories-podcast-with-riikka-puurunen-by-beneq/)
Post a Comment