Dr. Suvi Haukka, executive scientist at ASM, located Finland, was awarded the ALD Innovation prize at the ALD 2016 Ireland conference. In general the prize, awarded since 2011, is given "For innovative research in ALD and Service to the ALD community". Conference chair(s) choose the receiver of the prize. Personal justification for Dr. Suvi Haukka was described by Prof. Gregory Parsons, last year's awardee as: "For pioneering studies of ALD surface chemistry and for advocating the importance of fundamental understanding for ALD industrial scaling".
|Prof. Greg Parsons handing Dr. Suvi Haukka the ALD innovation prize. Photo by Riikka Puurunen.|
Earlier, the prize has been awarded to: 2011 Roy Gordon (Harvard University); 2012 Markku Leskelä (University of Helsinki); 2013 Steven George (University of Colorado), 2014 Hyeongtag Jeon (Hanyang University), 2015 Gregory Parsons (North Carolina State University). Warmest congratulations to Suvi Haukka: the prize is extremely well deserved!
- Travel report by Riikka Puurunen from the ALD 2016 conference: http://aldhistory.blogspot.fi/2016/07/ald-2016-travel-notes.html
- More on the Finnish inventor of ALD in the "Suntola ALE essay" by Puurunen ("A Short History of Atomic Layer Deposition: Tuomo Suntola's Atomic Layer Epitaxy") in the Chemical Vapor Deposition journal, Vol. 20, Iss. 10-11-12, December 2014, Pages 332-344, open access: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cvde.201402012/abstract.
- Ed's threads (by http://semimd.com/eds-threads/2016/08/01/asms-haukka-ald-award/ ): "ASM's Haukka ALD award"
- KEMIA Kemi 5/2016 p. 76 on the prize (in Finnish): "Suomalaiselle ALD-tutkijalle arvokas tunnustus" http://www.kemia-lehti.fi/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/kem516_kevyt.pdf
- August 14, 2016: link added to the Ed's threads post, which appeared soon after this ALD History Blog post was originally published.
- September 14, 2016: link added to KEMIA Kemi 5/2016. (Also a typo corrected: "moore" --> "more".)
|History of ALD Innovation Prize, as shared by Gregory Parsons. Photo by Riikka Puurunen.|
|Gregory Parsons describing the person soon to get the ALD Innovation Prize. Photo by Riikka Puurunen.|